The following lists the prerequisites for becoming a BEACH lifeguard:
· Swim 500 meters in under 9:45 minutes for beach guards.
· Run 1 mile in under 10:00 minutes, beach guards only.
Beach guards - your entire first summer's performance, as well as in rookie school will also have an impact if you remain a beach guard or get moved to the pool. During rookie school you will be expected to swim a mile as well as use lifeguard equipment such as paddle boards and kayaks. Running will be involved, use of radio's, first aid training, and use of torps and line during rescues. During big water days you will also be evaluated on rescue drills.
· POOL GUARDS - Swim 200meters (untimed) for first year only. You will then also have an interview.
After you send in your application look for your name posted on the web site. If it is, they your come on May 12, 2018at 4:45 to the Neptune Aquatic Center and do your 200 yard swim and interview.
If you do not see your name listed, email me email@example.com and find out why. It may simply be an oversight.
IF HIRED YOU MUST HAVE THE FOLLOWING FOR CERTIFICATIONS:
- ·CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and basic First Aid -BEACH GUARDS ONLY
- Pool guards must also have LGT.
This is only required if you are hired, no guard will start work unless cards are on file
· Commit to working from Memorial Day through Labor Day; as per the agreement between the Boro of Spring Lake and the Guards of Spring Lake, employees returning to college before Labor Day may end their season three days before the start of class.
When you arrive for the Swim/run test date.
Returning guards, complete on-boarding process for payroll (actually before this date).
Returning guards, complete the “data base return info form.” DO THIS ASAP FROM TODAY ON, THE EARLIER THE BETTER. Thanks!
You now can test anytime from March 1, on. Go to the pool and there is a form for you do test with the Neptune Guards. College students - hopefully you can do this on spring break.
Otherwise you will swim on the set dates, if you cannot make the date you will test in the North end pool.
The run test will be over Memorial weekend or one of the preseason weekends.
New beach applicants – be prepared to spend about 2 hours the day of the test, you will run, swim and interview. If you get hired you will then have to do the same steps as above as the returning guards. You will also not start work until rookie school is completed in June. If you have experience from a previous beach we may waive the start date for you but you will attend 1-2 days of rookie school so you go through all of our procedures.
New pool applicants - see above in red your requirements and then the same paperwork process as the beach guards.
All returning and new hires, we will have an organizational meeting on May 24, at 5:30 at North End. Hopefully most of you can make it, we will go over paperwork, uniforms, and additional information.
USLA Nationals Hotel information
Best Western Plus
2809 Atlantic Ave
Va Beach, Virginia 23451-3029
$ 209 per night, 100 rooms blocked out for USLA Nationals
PAY PERIODS & PAY DAYS
MAY 26 – JUNE 8 JUNE 15
JUNE 9 – JUNE 22 JUNE 29
JUNE 23 – JULY 6 JULY 13
JULY 7 – JULY 20 JULY 27
JULY 21 –AUGUST 3 AUGUST 10
AUGUST 4 –AUGUST 17 AUGUST 24
AUGUST 18 –AUGUST 31 SEPTEMBER 7
SEPTEMBER 1 – SEPTEMBER 3 SEPTEMBER 21
NATIONALS TRYOUT INFORMATION.
If you are new to nationals, here is some information.
- Get your memebership paid for www.usla.org
- Once you get your number at a certain point, usually early July you register for the event.
- Get a hotel reservation, do it fast most are gone.
- Talk to Janet if you are going and want to get on the “team” events. Try outs for these events are;
- July 23 in Avon at 7:00 am. This will be for the SWIM FOR THE LINE PULL, TAPLIN, RESCUE RACE, AND THE PADDLE FOR TAPLIN.
- July 24 in Long Branch at 7:00 am. THIS IS FOR ALL RUNNING EVENTS, SUCH AS THE RELAY, TAPLIN, RESCUE RACE.
- JULY 19 AT 7:00 PM. THERE IS A NATIONALS ORGANIZATIONAL MEETING IN AVON AT THE FIREHOUSE. If you want to go to nationals this will give you more information.
- Talk to Shane Toohey or Janet if you have questions.